If you want to be a leader, are you ready, willing, and able, and possess the necessary combination of discipline and commitment, do commit – to, and follow the SMART approach, to leading? Doesn’t it make sense, to consider, and take advantage of the time – tested, knowledge, and expertise, which might make you, better – suited – for, and equipped, to lead, effectively? In my, over 40 years of involvement, in nearly, every aspect of effectively, leading, from identifying, and qualifying, to training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or, potential leaders, as well as serving as a leader, several times, I have come to, strongly – believe, and emphasize, to others, there is no need, to reinvent – the – wheel, but, rather, it makes far more sense, and is much more efficient, and effective, to gain knowledge, and hopefully, judgment and wisdom, from the past, while proceeding with an open – mind, to better handle, the ever – evolving challenges, we face, today. With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, and represents, and why, it matters, and makes sense.
1. System; service; sustainable; solutions: Too often, someone tries to lead, without, first, perceiving and conceiving of, creating, and developing, a meaningful, system, which, consistently puts, service and representation, first! Only, when one’s efforts, consider, both, relevant, as well as, sustainable solutions, will he deserve to hold, any specific office!
2. Makes mark; motivate: Measure an individual, by, his efforts, and abilities, to make his mark, for the better, both, in the short – term, as well as longer – run! It is the duty, and responsibility of every leader, to inspire and motivate all stakeholders (past, present, future, and potential)!
3. Attitude; aptitude; attention; articulate: It takes a consistent, realistic, positive, can – do, attitude, combined with a well – developed, aptitude, and skill – set, to make things change, for the better! One must pay keen attention, and be ready, willing, and able, to clearly, articulate a message, which brings people together, for the greater good!
4. Relevant; realistic; reach out: What good is achieved, unless/ until, the focus and emphasis, is both, relevant, and realistic? Great leaders must, constantly, proactively, reach out, to create a meeting – of – the – minds, and a more sustainable organization!
5. Time – tested; timely; trends; together: Bringing constituents together, requires a combination of time – tested, knowledge and understanding, in a well – considered, timely manner, without resorting to procrastination! This must be combined with recognizing, and using trends, which might be beneficial!
Use this SMART approach, and you might be pleased, with the impacts, and results! Are you, up to the tasks?
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe