Human beings are meant to function with timed sleep. If you get too tired to sleep, you get sleep-deprived which results in unbearable mood-swings. Now your babies are like that on a normal day. When they get overtired, it gets a whole lot worse.
The first thing you’d do with your overtired baby is to put them to sleep, thinking they’d be asleep within minutes. But that’s where you are wrong; It is not that simple. With babies, everything is complicated.
Therefore, it is best to, first of all, know the symptoms that your baby is exhausted or “overtired”. The parents often question, “how to get an overtired baby to sleep?” but most of them don’t know beforehand the mistakes we all do when we are not able to put our baby to sleep even if they’re energy-drained.
Here are some tips that will help you out in the process.
What Does It Mean To Be Overtired?
A baby is overtired when they haven’t slept for the time their body needs them to. The little body of babies can only stay awake for a limited time. Staying awake for longer than that results in the release of stress hormones, which makes it even harder for a baby to stay calm.
Consequently, it becomes more difficult for babies to sleep when they get overtired. Babies have to sleep according to their age; when they sleep well at night but miss daytime naps, they’re expected to become overtired.
How To Get An Overtired Baby To Sleep?
As difficult it is to plan out how to get an overtired baby to sleep, it is not impossible. Doctors recommend some of the things that can be helpful in order to make exhausted baby sleep.
1. For the start, wrap your baby around in a cloth. Babies will fight with all of their energy to make you stop, but that’s only because of their tiredness. You must have them swaddled.
2. Once they’re wrapped, hold them against your chest.
3. Either you can breastfeed them, or give them a feeding bottle. In both ways, there are chances that the baby will get fussier.
4. Start rocking your baby very slowly, or bounce them; it has to be slow.
5. Once they’re drowsy, put them down. They still have to be awake.
6. At that point, your baby would be asleep. And that is how to get an overtired baby to sleep.
Most of the doctors recommend that a baby should have a proper sleep schedule; then they easily get a clue about when is sleep time. Thus, decreasing a chance to be overtired in the first place.
Many people often put their baby to sleep to get rid of the distraction. Though the baby shouldn’t be put to bed before naptime or bedtime. If they have a clear-cut sleep routine, you’ll never have to worry about how to get an overtired baby to sleep.
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe