Which seems better, voter apathy, motivating involvement (and wanting to have one’s voice count), or, believing, the United States elections, are rigged, anyway, and proceeding, with a mistrust of elected officials, and the overall system? Unfortunately, only the middle option, is a positive one! For many years, the first was a factor, in low turnout, etc. In the past few years, however, it seems, there is a dangerous trend, facilitated, largely, by unproven claims, etc, especially, in the past four years, from President Trump. which states, when the votes do not support him, the process, must, automatically, be rigged, and, because, he has so motivated his core supporters, it seems, this presents a clear and present danger, to our American Way of Life, and how we elect our public officials! With that in mind, unless/ until, we change certain things. to make the system, work better, and more effectively, both, actually, and in our perceptions, our system of government, and politics, is, at – risk! This article will, therefore, briefly, attempt to, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 7 common sense, necessities, to change things, for the better.
1. Disprove accusations: Although, Trump’s core supporters, seem to prefer his version, to what seems, to be reality/ facts, it is important, to disprove these accusations, so most Americans, are satisfied, with this effort!
2. Clarify efforts: It must be, crystal – clear, to our citizens, what efforts are being taken to protect the fairness, and sanctity, of our election process!
3. Bipartisan participation: One of the most concerning aspects, of President Trump’s many, repeated, unsupported claims/ accusations, is, how members of his Republican Party, by – and – large, have lacked the courage to do the right thing, and set – him – straight. It’s one thing to support a candidate, and want him to win, but, quite another, to enable any effort, which harms this nation, and what it stands for! To avoid this happening again, there must be a bipartisan effort, to create norms, and standards, to serve all our citizens, and the nation!
4. Examine strengths and weaknesses: The positives of this election, is, many of the concerns, about the security of our election process, after the apparent, Russian interference, in 2016, is, before Trump fired him, because, he didn’t endorse the President’s claims, many government agencies, proclaimed, this was the most secure election, in our history. To ensure, greater confidence, in the process, we must effectively use, all strengths, and address, areas of weakness!
5. Reexamine the Electoral College: Prior to this election, there were two circumstances, in the 21st Century, when the President, was elected, despite losing the popular vote. Although, the Founding Fathers, determined, it was beneficial, at that time, to use an Electoral College, doing so, today, means, citizens in certain smaller states, have, disproportionately, more influence/ power, than in other, larger states. How do you think, this makes many voters, feel, etc?
6. Campaign spending, and length: Most other nations limit election campaigns, to a much shorter – period, than the we do! Excessive, uncontrolled, campaign spending, combined with this length, cannot benefit the nation’s best – interests!
7. Address false facts, of candidates: When, these advertisements, often, contain more false facts, than true ones, there has to be a better way! Wouldn’t it be better, if, we held political advertising to the same standards, as we do, commercial ads?
There must be a better way to conduct our elections, and, unless/ until, concerted, thorough, well – considered efforts, are used, to do so, even more people, will lose faith, in our elections, and the process! Wake up, America, and demand this be done, sooner, rather than later!
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe